Loom Love with Maryanne Moodie
Self confessed, fibre obsessed maker Maryanne Moodie shares how discovering weaving lead her to change paths and find her joy!
You’ve probably seen one Maryanne’s captivating, woven wall hangings on Instagram or Etsy - the Obus team did a few years ago and fell in love with her work. We speak with ‘Modern Weaver’ Maryanne about her latest book, teaching worldwide workshops and everything in between.
1. When did your love affair with the loom begin?
I really began to explore weaving seriously when I was on maternity leave with my first son over 10 years ago.
2. Why do you think weaving has come back in vogue?
Well for me, I wanted to do something with my hands that was screen free and would get me in the zone. It feels like a meditation when I’m at the loom. I love the idea that I am doing the same motions and moves as many generations past.
3. What are some career highlights and what's coming next?
Writing my two books has felt like a dream. I was a teacher for 10 years before weaving and I feel most whole when I’m passing along the skills to others. I love being in a room full of weavers - learning and teaching one another.
4. Do you have any words of wisdom for aspiring artists wanting to make the leap from hobby to career?
Do it every day. Try to form a little community. Exhibit your art and get it out into the real world even if that is at your local cafe.
5. What colours are you drawn to at the moment and why?
I’m always excited by unexpected colour combinations. At the moment I can’t get enough of purple!!!! I fell instantly in love with this Obus suit.
6. How does wearing our Obus MOTION BLAZER + PANT make you feel?
I feel so powerful. I’ve never owned a ‘suit’ before. The purple just seems like the perfect colour choice!